Will you be traveling soon? Please contact our Customer Service Center ahead of time to make us aware of your travels. It’s never wise to rely solely upon a debit card to access your cash or to fund purchases.
The adoption of chip card technology has added a layer of security to transactions where a chip-enabled terminal is used. While more merchants are enabling their chip card terminals every day, 100% adoption has not yet been reached. Click here for frequently asked chip card questions.
Due to concerns relating to security and identity fraud, Savings Institute Bank & Trust does not allow ATM or magnetic strip “swipe” transactions in certain locations. Please read below to see if the location you are traveling to is affected.
If you are traveling to a foreign country, chip card transactions as well as transactions at ATMs are permitted. All other debit card transactions are restricted.
Currently, all debit card transactions, including transactions at chip card enabled terminals, are restricted in Romania, Saudi Arabia and Ukraine.
There are no restrictions if you are using your chip card at a chip card enabled terminal. Transactions at a terminal that is not chip card enabled carry the following restrictions:
- Signature based swipe transactions over $100 inside gas stations may be restricted. Transactions at gas pumps are not affected.
- Signature based transactions over $50 in the state of New York are currently being restricted. PIN based transactions and signature based transactions of $50 or less will not be affected.
- All Square transactions exceeding $200.00 in the United States except Connecticut and Rhode Island are currently being restricted.
- All debit card transactions not performed at a chip card enabled terminal at Plaza Azteca restaurants are currently being restricted.
- Credit transactions at gas pumps in Los Angeles, California are currently being restricted. PIN based transactions are not affected.
- Swipe transactions at fast food restaurants and movie theaters in Miami, Hialeah and Opalocka Florida are currently being restricted.
- Swipe transactions and transactions where the card number is manually entered at gas stations and fast food restaurants in Illinois are currently being restricted.
If you have any questions, please contact us today.