The SI Financial Group Foundation, Inc. was established in 2005 by SI Financial Group, Inc., the parent company of the Savings Institute Bank & Trust Co. in Willimantic, CT. These causes we support are selected based on several criteria, including their ability to enhance the quality of life for the constituencies they serve.
In September 2013, Savings Institute Bank & Trust acquired NewportFed and the NewportFed Charitable Foundation became a completely independent organization. Contact the NewportFed Charitable Foundation to obtain more information or submit a grant request.
Eligibility & Restrictions
Federally recognized, under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, organizations and most charitable, educational and civic institutions serving the Communities where we do business are eligible for our grants. In general, organizations that are funded by taxpayers are a lower priority, although special projects and programs facilitated by nonprofit organizations working within municipalities are considered. In some cases, with the SIFG Foundation’s prior approval, nonprofit organizations that do not have a tax-exempt letter may submit a proposal under a sponsoring tax-exempt organization that will assume expenditure responsibility for the duration of the project. The applying organization must provide the SIFG Foundation with the sponsoring organization’s tax exempt letter and its written assurance that it will oversee the project.
Generally, no grants will be awarded to individuals; political or fraternal organizations; religious institutions (unless the program benefits the community at large); political or lobbying activities. In most cases, support is given for a period of one year, and organizations must reapply for a grant each year they wish to be considered for additional support.
View Grant Guidelines
Our first priority is to improve life in the CT and RI communities served by Savings Institute Bank & Trust. We are proud to support nonprofit organizations that provide the following:
- Community development via affordable housing, job training and programs that assist the economically disadvantaged
- Basic human services and health programs for those considered at risk or in need
- Educational projects that expand learning beyond the classroom and increase literacy
- Cultural and artistic enrichment programs that build audiences for the arts, especially among underserved populations
- Environmental projects that help preserve, protect and revitalize our natural resources
Like most foundations, we receive far more requests for support than we can approve. We encourage all agencies, whether they receive a grant or not, to keep us informed of their activities. This proves to be very helpful for future reviews and considerations for grant dollars.
Please call the Foundation at (860) 456-6509 to discuss any questions related to your request.
Recent Grant Recipients
- The Arc of Quinebaug Valley, Inc. - Job Development Enhancement Program
- Boys Town New England - Family Home Program
- Catholic Charities, Diocese of Norwich, Inc. - Emergency Basic Needs Program
- Covenant Shelter of New London, Inc. - Partially Funded Housing First Mandates
- Covenant Soup Kitchen - Mortgage Reduction Campaign
- Eastern Connecticut Community Gardens - Raised Bed Project
- Garden Club of Windham - Family 325 Project
- Hampton Antiquarian and Historical Society - Carriage Shed Restoration Project
- High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Inc. - Horses and Healing Program
- Horizons, Inc. - “Unlock the Gifts 2017-18” Project
- Martin Luther King Community Center, Inc. - Emergency Food Program
- Mystic Area Shelter & Hospitality - Shelter Diversion/Homelessness Prevention Program
- Natchaug Hospital, Inc. - Kindle Purchase
- Norwich Community Backpack Program - Backpack Project
- Operation Fuel, Inc. - Emergency Energy Assistance Program
- Safe Futures, Inc. - Genesis House Emergency Shelter & Alternative Shelter Solutions
- Sail to Prevail - Adaptive Sailing Program
- Salve Regina University - O’Hare Academic Building Renovations and Expansion Project
- Star Kids Scholarship Program - Educational Program
- The Diaper Bank - Windham County Expansion Program
- Willimantic Renaissance, Inc. - Event Coordinator